Monday, July 5, 2010

Healthy Lifestyle - Yoga Part I

Exercise is an important part of a healthy lifestyle as is has been shown to improve cardiovascular health, reduce blood pressure, reduce osteoporosis, increase energy, reduce depression plus much more, but does the type of exercise matter? According to TCM it does. Since TCM involves bringing balance to the body mind and spirit is important to think of exercise as a medicine to achieve equilibrium in the body. Yoga is the focus of this week's activity as it affects the body and mind by incorporating physical postures, breath work and meditation .

There are many health benefits to yoga with studies on low back pain, depression, insomnia, migraines and irritable bowel syndrome showing there are a wide range of benefits and effects yoga can have on the body.

On more of a personal note I have found yoga has improved my ability to deal with stress through releasing tension and calming my mind. Over the last few years in particular yoga helped me focus through the preparation and writing of my licencing exams as well as adapt to the ups and downs of starting my own business.

Please check back for more posts on yoga and health this week. Tomorrow features yoga instructor Tomas Hicks

No comments:

Post a Comment